There are several nonverbal cues to tell that a person is depressed, however, many are not aware of these signs. Once mindful of these signs, friends and family many times will notice the signs of depression even before the person. Learning to recognize these signs will be key to providing support to loved ones dealing with depression.
Here are some nonverbal signs to look for to indicate a person may be depressed:
· Excessive Sleeping: If a person is staying in bed for prolonged amounts of time, this may be a sign of depression. The lack of desire to get out of bed is an indication that a person perhaps is depressed.
· Non-communicative: A person may be experiencing depression if they are not speaking as much as they normally do and are unusually quiet.
· Low energy: A depressed person will tend to have low energy. Their movement, speech and general posture will drag. They would not want to engage, and lack overall vibrancy.
· Eating more or less than usual: If a person’s appetite is changing significantly, either overeating or experiencing a lack of appetite, this may indicate that they are suffering from depression.
· Lack of concentration: Lacking the ability to concentrate is another sign to watch for. If the person has a hard time focusing and gets easily distracted, they may be feeling depressed.
· Less eye contact: If a person is avoiding eye contact more frequently and generally has a more slouched posture, they may be suffering the signs of depression.
Neurofeedback is an effective treatment for depression because it effectively decreases the negative symptoms most often associated with depression by balancing an imbalance in Alpha brain waves. If someone you know is experiencing some of these symptoms related to depression, please call our office to schedule a free evaluation to learn more about neurofeedback and how it may be an effective drug-free treatment for your loved one.
Come meet us for your free in-person one-on-one symptom evaluation where we discuss if neurofeedback is the right treatment for you. Schedule your consultation by selecting a time below, we can’t wait to meet you!Book your free evaluation!